Union City Banner

Old Bank of the Union, Union City, Oklahoma


Steam Train, Union City, Oklahoma


Union Mart, Union City, Oklahoma


Old water Tower, Union City, Oklahoma


Old School Convent, Union City, Oklahoma


Old Picture 1, Union City, Oklahoma


Old picture, Union City Store, Union City, Oklahoma


The History of Union City, Oklahoma

April 1884

By Leo A. Demmer

October 1986

Page 3

In 1910 Doctor Richardson built the old bank building across the street from the school. Before the was there the Nick Hentzon family home was located on this corner. In 1900 Nick Hentzon built the house where Ester Schumacher lives today. In the fall of that year the Hentzen family moved to this location.

The brick building just east of the old bank started out as the Newton, Dricol, Kramer hardware store. Later M.P. Kelly moved his grocery and dry goods store to this location. After this Frank and Mayme Gatz had a grocery and dry goods store here and still later it became the Ag. Building for the school. Just east of the Ag. Building was the Pappe grocery store. The later became Wineheart's shoe shop. Mr. Wineheart also repaired furniture and reupholstered buggy and carriage seats. When business was slow he would sit in front of his shop and play his zither. In the area where the fire station (town hall) is today there used to be an ice cream and confectionery shop. Also in this same area Gardner's had a pool hall, beer parlor, and bowling alley. Just to the west of the fire station (town hall) was located the Union City power plant. This consisted of a gasoline engine and a generator. The town had electric lights for a few hours each evening, if they could keep the engine running. Next to this power plant Harve Mathews used to have a small bakery. Across the alley north of the fire station (town hall) was George Snitz's livery stable.

Across the street east of the fire station (town hall) was the location of the Furhing stores. They sold hardware and machinery. These stores were two stories and for a time the family lived upstairs. Later on the telephone exchange was located in this upstairs area.

East of the Furhing stores was the T.J. Hadley grocery and dry goods store. (this brick building is still there) In 1907 Dan and Albert Gatz bought the Hadley General Store, the business was operated under the name of Gatz Brothers General Store until 1925 when Dan sold his share in the business to his brother Albert.

1 2 previous page next page 4 5 6 7 8 9 10


Old Picture, Union City, Oklahoma
old picture, Union City, Oklahoma


Union City Commutity Correction Center, Union City, Oklahoma


Back to top