Union City Banner

Old Bank of the Union, Union City, Oklahoma


Steam Train, Union City, Oklahoma


Union Mart, Union City, Oklahoma


Old water Tower, Union City, Oklahoma


Old School Convent, Union City, Oklahoma


Old Picture 1, Union City, Oklahoma


The History of Union City, Oklahoma

April 1884

By Leo A. Demmer

October 1986

Page 7

This next article was also in the 1902 Union City Alert: "The largest man in the world arrived in Union City on the noon train on Monday. The big man is Lewis Wilkins. He came to visit his brother Frank, who lives four miles west and a little south of town. Lewis is 8 feet-two inches tall, wears size 24 shoe, and weight 365#. While sitting in a carriage in front of Kelly's store he removed his ring from his finger, a half dollar could easily pass through the ring. He is enjoying a rest at his brother's farm and will make a tour of the western states this spring."

Just north of the Conoco station is the postoffice. the Union City Postoffice qas established August 28, 1889 at the origional townsite of Union City. Over the years Union City has had many postmasters, the present (1986) one is Carolyn Lewman. The postoffice has 126 open boxes. Jess White is the rural route carrier and he drives 67 miles and stops at 223 boxes.

North of the postoffice is the Bank of Union. This bank dates back to December 1900. (There was also a bank at the original town site, but this bank does not go back that far.) In 1906 Doctor Richardson bought this bank from J.M. Cotton. He was associated with the bank until his death in 1957 at the age of 88. Today (1986) the bank has a total assets of over 26 million dollars. Eldon Ray Ventris is the President and Chairman of the Board. The Vice President is H. Allen Miller.

North of the bank Tom Bosler has a bady shop for repairing cars and pickups,.

Across 81 highway west of the Conoco Station is the Easy Shop convenience store owned by Don Warren from Hinton, Oklahoma. South across the street is the T & B Country Market. They sell groceries and produce. During the summer they sell lots of watermelons. This time of the year (October 1986) they have the street in front of the store lined with big yellow punkins. Jack and Teresa Woolard operate this store. South of this store the Union City garage. Bill Wedman repairs all type of motorized vehicles in his garage. East across 81 highway from the Union City garage is the Dairy Mart which is owned and operated James and Brownita Smith.

1 2 3 4 5 6 previous page next page 8 9 10






Old Picture, Union City, Oklahoma
old picture, Union City, Oklahoma


Union City Commutity Correction Center, Union City, Oklahoma


Back to top